The Composite Restoration Advantage
Composite restorations are quickly becoming the standard in the dental industry because they are simply better than metal fillings. Composite resin can be used in a number of situations, such as:
- Cavities – Cavities are among the most common dental problems, and composite resin can be used to fill cavities as well.
- Broken Teeth – In some cases, chipped, cracked, or broken teeth can be repaired using composite resin.
- Replacement Fillings – Silver fillings won’t last forever. These days, many people are opting for composite restorations when their old silver fillings need to be replaced.
- Root Exposure – Composite restorations may also be appropriate when the dental root becomes exposed.
Why Composite Restoration Is in Demand
Composite restorations are often compared to amalgam fillings. With amalgam fillings, more of the tooth has to be prepped before application. Some amalgam fillings even presented a mercury exposure problem. With composite resin, very little prep work needs to be done to the tooth before application, and you don’t have to worry about mercury. While composite restorations aren’t suitable in more severe cases like infection or advanced tooth breakdown, they do provide good protection for the tooth when appropriate. In more demanding situations, a crown may be necessary. There are some key advantages to composite restorations that distinguish it from other types of dental restoration:
- Stronger Bond – With composite restorations, the resin is applied directly to the tooth enamel, which forms a much stronger bond.
- Longer Lifespan – The average lifespan of a composite filling is a decade, though we have seen composite fillings last for more than 10 years!
- Aesthetically Pleasing – Unlike amalgam fillings, composite fillings can be made to match the color of your teeth.
- Quicker Application – Since less prep work is needed to apply composites, the process is typically faster than traditional fillings.
Gilbert Dental Group Offers More for Our Patients
Composite restorations are just one of the many ways we go above and beyond for our patients. We utilize the latest equipment and modern techniques, whether we are whitening your teeth or treating periodontal disease. We want you to be confident in your smile, so we will take the time to devise a personalized plan to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Schedule an appointment and learn why Gilbert Dental Group has been a fixture in the Greenville, SC community for more than 60 years!